While in Monaco for a few more days I thought it would be a good idea to elaborate a little about my childhood and upbringing and how it has played an important role in getting me too where I am today.
I was apparently a full time job as a toddler back in Rose Bay Australia, where I was born. My day started at about 5 am when I climbed out of my sleeping quarters, tottered to my parents retreat and gently prodded my mother's arm until she awoke to make me my regular morning babyccino.
Having always been a morning person, training for elite sports seemed like the perfect way to start my day - the other end of the day hasn't changed much either - rarely am I up past 7.30 pm.
My primary school years were spent at King's College, a sharp contrast to the poor schools of Sydney's west. At the demands of our parents my sister, Melia, and I joined the local Athletics club to keep boredom at bay and distinctly remember our sweaty hair freezing on the short walk back to the Mercedes after the morning’s training. Apart from superb comfort, there wasn't too much to recommend a Mercedes of the late 1990’s.
My efforts to stay active during class were not particularly well received with notes being sent home complaining about my fidgeting and the undoing of nuts and bolts holding my classmates robotic arm together. He was involved in a serious car accident which caused the amputation of his left arm. I have recently caught up with him and while he was bullied harshly in primary school he is now having the last laugh, and I quote “My girlfriend loves my stump after a few beers”. Either way I have moved up in the world and I now dismantle vintage cars my father and I collect.
What I thought was serious run training was nothing compared to my introduction to High School. We trained during the school holidays and were signed up for the 'NSWLST' (NSW Legendary Schools Team), at that time coached by Kev (hairy) Busch, a fitting nickname due to his rather boisterous beard.
It took about one day to realise that we were training at a very leisurely pace in primary school and due to the camaraderie of the nswlst squad my name would forever be changed from Figgot to Fig.
Athletics has greatly enriched my life. I have seen many interesting parts of both Australia and the world that I probably wouldn't have otherwise visited. Well, I probably would have.
I have met some truly inspirational people, both rich and poor. I have many friends who are surprisingly good looking, even though they went to slightly less expensive schools.
I have received untold generosity of support and encouragement from mum and dad and I owe my highly successful career to them.
I hope you continue to follow my journey.
Train hard friends,
Fig
No comments:
Post a Comment