Saturday

Hallo!

I arrived in Dusseldorf, Germany from Monaco yesterday and thanks to my coach Iva Schmalldich was entered into the German winter 5000m champs that night! This was a tough race due to the fact I was severely jet lagged from the travel from Monaco. I'm still so excited I was able to get through without any shoelace or bug problems. My NORMA TEC Recovery machine can help with recovery but unfortunately it can’t help with Jet-lag. That doesn't mean don't buy one right away!

The race was an irregular 4 laps due to the track being 1250m instead of the IAAF approved 400m. My coach and I didn’t know this until shortly before the start so I continued with my race plan to attack with 4 laps to go. This turned out to be a tactical error and I found myself running from the front. It was a very breezy night and I sensed my energy was somehow becoming depleted around half way. I finished a credible 6th in what was a field of many Europeans due to the locality of Germany in Europe.
After the race we watched the video and saw that my aerodynamics into the wind were all wrong and this, we believe, cost me the title.

The race isn’t the only thing I have been doing in Dusseldorf. It is a Wunderbar (wonderful) place! I have spent the last few days finding an apartment and have been successful.

My parents happen to know the count so this is where I will be living and training in my build up to the Inter-world championships.

I know it looks nice but it doesn't have heating or proper plumbing. I guess that’s what I should expect from a 16th century castle.
If you squint, you can see me waving from the 3rd window on the west wing.

I have been training really well with Iva's group. As we have just started winter base training obviously we spend most of our time on the track. At this level of elite running you can’t get away with steady training during base. You will lose your edge if you don't stay sharp.

Yesterday’s session was:
10min warm up
15x300's running 35 leaving on 15mins
5min easy jog warm down

This was a toughie but good solid training for the 5000. 

I best be off. This afternoon I’m meeting coach Schmalldich and my manager Richard (Dick) Cravin for a regular coach/athlete/manager meeting. We will discuss the last few days of training and new sponsorship deals coming in. I can tell you I'm close to signing with COCKSOX Swimwear but we will have to wait and see till after the meeting. If it’s a go ahead remember you heard it here first people. Right now I'm DESPERATE for a coffee.

Keep training, 

FJ

No comments:

Post a Comment