Hey folks,
Last night was the Olso Athletic Meeting.
I don’t normally enjoy a track meet in which I’m racing. I hold off my arrival until about 30min before the race. Just enough time to check out the surface and choose which spikes to use. I have a collection of over 7,000 spikes for all of the different surfaces we athletes have to face so this process can take a bit of time.
The conditions were relatively hot in the twilight of yesterday afternoon so I decided a warm up was not needed. Huge fields of runners were present in all events with me lining up next to the great Norwegian Thor Arsebjorn for the 3000m, my 2nd pet event.
I forgot to start my Garmin but went out hard. Using the setting sun as a guide to time I calculated my splits as, 30 for 200, 62 for 400 all be it with Thor on my heels. I tried to settle down and went a little too slow with Knut screaming out a 70 next lap! I believe we went through 1km in 2:44 but I could be wrong. The 2 km went by in about 5:47.36 and Thor cruised past very easily. I was struggling, my arms felt weak and I had run mostly in lane 2 as we were lapping the gigantic field after only 600m. I decided not to kill myself so I backed off to continue in my comfort zone with no last lap push. The very thing I’m renowned for. Thor ran 8:13 but hasn’t been injured and did a much better warm up than myself. I’m happy with my 9:09 as I know I can run well with more intervals. I placed a credible 18th in what was a field of well credentialed Norwegian masters athletes.
It’s back to training tomorrow with Ivana so very much looking forward to that. I hope it’s warm again and she wears those short tights of hers. Everything hangs out. Then again the cold weather also has its ‘perks’.
Fig.
No comments:
Post a Comment